Blog on Blot
I want to redo the way I blog. — My old Tumblelog hasn’t seen as many posts lately as I wish: For my taste Tumblr grew too commercial and social-media-like.
So I tried a few blog hosts. I started with the blog hosts my main writing app iA Writer offers tight integration for. Then I came looked at some others as well. Here a list of the platforms I looked at:
|Not right. Too expensive
|Metadata not in post
|Blog via Dropbox/git
|Winner: Metadata are in post!
I then decided to tried out Micro.blog and Blot — And now I think I will go with Blot:
- Things I like:
- Use of post metadata!
- Super simple interface.
- David Merfield offers very responsive support
- Clear no-nonsense philosophy behind the service
- Things I (already) don’t like so much:
- No IndieWeb Micropub connection. Would have been nice to post directly from iA Writer plus Micropub seems a good standard in general (e.g. when you want to change your writing client).
- No use of a standard open-source blog engine (like Hugo or Pelican).